Monday, September 24, 2007

A Wonderful Day Recognizing Sgt. Barrientes



This morning after hearing a very interesting sermon on trustworthiness and our purpose on earth, I had the opportunity to travel with Rep. Pena to a dedication event for Sgt. Francisco Barrientes in Edinburg, Texas.

As I arrived to the event with the Rep. I was enlightened to see many happy faces enter the Sgt. Francisco Barrientes Middle School gym that was soon to be filled by faculty, students, family, and close members of the community. Among those that were present were Sgt. Barrientes family members.

As Rep. Pena made his way through the crowds to the front of the gym he would get stopped by caring members of the community just so that they can say “Hi Rep. nice to see you here today.”

I gathered myself to one corner that allowed me to view the entire audience and the stage where all the invited speakers sat with the Honoree, Sgt. Francisco Barrientes. As I looked to the stage at Mr. Barrientes sitting next to Rep. Pena, it was a wonderful view for me. These two individuals share something very important; the ability to serve those that they love and having the passion to do it. Mr. Barrientes’s dedication over the years is an inspiration to me and it is notable that not many of those kinds of individuals exist.

This event was so remarkable to capture not only by a photo camera but also through my own personal experience. As Rep. Pena gave his speech to the audience and Sgt. Barrientes sat peacefully in his chair looking into the crowed, I could see that everyone was interested in what was being read on the Proclamation Rep. Pena wrote for Sgt. Barrientes. At one point I could feel a tear trying to escape my eye.

At the end of the dedication ceremony, I can truly understand why Rep. Pena is deeply respected within his community. It is Rep. Pena’s ability to reminisce on the days that he once walked the halls of the middle school when he was a young boy many years ago with those who were present. This same school that was just recently named after a Vietnam War Veteran, who like Rep. Pena, is also a well-respected individual that devoted his abilities and talents to the community many years ago to this day.

After a very beautiful morning and afternoon I have to say I could not have asked for a better and beautiful day with Rep. Pena, Sgt. Barrientes, and everyone present at the dedication ceremony recognizing the efforts of one individual and his impact on the way we live our lives.

No comments: