Monday, January 09, 2006

Bush Spokesman Goes Out on a Limb: He's for Mom


Scott McClellan, the White House press secretary, is reported to have asked the president for guidence on the Texas governor's race. "I asked him for his guidance about what he wanted me to say about the Texas governor's race."

As everyone in Texas knows, Mr. McClellan's mother, Carole Keeton Strayhorn, the state's comptroller, had announced that she would run as an independent in 2006 against the Republican incumbent, Gov. Rick Perry.

McCellan account of the president's response is as follows: "The president will support the Republican nominee, and I think it's pretty clear the Republican nominee will be his friend Rick Perry," Mr. McClellan said.

As for his mother, Mr. McClellan said, "My mother cares deeply about Texas, and she has my full support."

The story.

No comments: